Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Squaring with it

I talked to a couple friends at work today about Elisabeth. I'm glad I did, I learned that we're not the only ones, other people are struggling too, people we know, people like us.

We chatted a lit bit about surrogacy, adoption, having only children. It felt nice to have a real conversation about all the options.

I have to say, it doesn't feel great when the first response is, "Its pretty selfish don't you think? Why don't you just adopt a baby who needs a home rather than spending all that money to make one?" Right, because we never thought of that! We've never been down that route at all (read sarcasm)

I guess I need to square with the fact that a lot of people aren't going to share the excitement. Its not the same as adopting a baby or carrying a baby yourself. I'm sure there will be no "sprinkle" or "come meet the baby party" because it makes people uncomfortable. Not everyone will be happy for us and somewhere along the way some people may decide to move on away from us. It sucks, but we're squaring with it.

When you make the choice to detour like we're doing, you can't hesitate. You have to jump in feet first, plan for the very best, and allow yourself to grow along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment